Thursday, November 3, 2011

Artist book Pictures and Layout

So my idea has been inspired by my family and my I drawings. The use of the photo frame is a tool I've used to separate my drawings from the subjects. I've make two types of drawings from this, the frame as a window to another world and the frame as a tool for the subjects to enter another world.

I'm having trouble thinking of ways to print and bind my book. At this stage I've decided to print on matt because I want to avoid the marker turning weird colours like brown and purple that I've noticed come out on gloss. I've printed on a A1 size poster but the marker ink isn't taking to the paper the way I want it to. I'm now printing on A3 from a sketch pad on a home printer. I've also experimented with printing on lined exercise paper an I really like this look as well. 

So I'm a little stuck with how to put this  together, I was thinking a hand made pocket folder where all the pages sit loose. This would end up looking like a collection of bits and pieces.

Picture wise, my images are black and white with strong contrast. I decided to make then this way so they would look a little more graphic and complement my images better.  







1 comment:

  1. This has really developed so much since we last talked, wow! I think it looks great with the graphic and photographic integrated - and that is a very challenging thing to do. I am not sure I understand where your drawings come in as they look photographic - is it the frame outside that is drawn? I think the lines in the lined paper might take away from that clean minimal look you have achieved, so I would suggest to go for a matte or even heavier cotton rag paper. How many pages will you have altogether - are the shots above one per page? If so, you could think of just an elegant black spiral bound or have it stitched bound - or no binding at all, it could go in a box and have the box cover echo or refer visually to the idea of the frame. Can you let me know about the drawings plus the number of pages?

    ReplyDelete